Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Risk awareness

From the day I have relocated to Chennai, I am struggling to converse with local junta with local language i.e. Tamil. Since I am from Palakkad, Kerala, I can understand Tamil little bit but can not speak. It was after one year I found an Autowala who knows Hindi. His name is Jamil. He is very sincere to me and has been giving me ride back home every day.

I enjoyed today's ride totally. Paisa vasool. As soon as we started the ride, he mentions "sir market is very much down". I told "yes things are pretty bad and prices of everything is falling except vegetables". Today, any vegetable in Chennai costs minimum Rs. 40/- per KG. Jamil continues "yes sir, you know in Mumbai and Delhi, if you buy one flat you will get another free of cost"....I was surprised as to how this guy knows all this......hmmm.......he continues......"sir there is bank called HEFC.......(I corrected him ...may be HDFC)...han.....han........HDFC......it has 500 branches and it is reducing branches and staff. I told "Oh is it....I am not aware but I heard Citibank is reducing staff"........Jamil says "What sir, why are you talking about Citibank, you know its share price".......I asked him what "Rs. 4/-".........I told him it is not Rs. 4/-, may be $4......and he says "yeah may be in dollars but things are pretty bad and you know sir.....it is a great time for people who have money......they can invest in shares and make big gains"........I kept mum for a long time and got involved with usual chore of taking calls from my team members.

Both points must be wrong but I was amazed to know the market updates of Jamil. Also on the seriousness of risk awareness even at the lowest ebb of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment