Sunday, November 23, 2008

Surfing in Chennai

Ever since one of my colleagues, who became close friend had three massive heart attacks recently, we have been discussing "health" at home. I and Beena have been arguing what to eat, how to take care of health, where and when to walk, etc. and it usually end up in unnecessary arguments. However, today I thought being in Thiruvanmiyur , that also just seven minutes away from the Beach and not go for a walk, what will "people" think about my laziness. I therefore decided to have a morning walk today. It was around 9.30am and Beena started telling that only "MAD" will go for a walk at this time. However, I have seen people jogging at 1.30pm in New Jersey that too summer days. So, I felt it is Okay.

The road opposite to my apartment takes me to the Beach. I started walking and in the middle I felt there is no road as it was full of water. Mind you, Chennai is experiencing rains. Flash of a second, to my mind, the scene in an Adoor Gopalakrishnan's movie Elipathayam appeared, wherein, Karamana starts walking and stopped in between because the passer by vehicle spoiled his white dhoti and returned home. I can not be that lazy and struggled to pass through the pavement and reached the Beach. It was very cloudy and I was feeling good.

All of a sudden I saw a foreigner coming with a surf boat in Hyundai Sonata. I curiously observed what is happening. I also saw then an American family coming there. He took almost fifteen minutes to remove the boat and then started walking towards the sea. I also went behind him.....and there were ten other people to follow him. He started swimming. I tried to inter act with the family who came along with him. I enquired how safe it is..........they told me it is very safe. They mentioned that they are not seeing much surfing in India. They were also wondering whether Indians know swimming. I also learnt today that it is not the breadth and height of the wave that matters for surfing but the quality of continuous wave. The guy who in the water was struggling to stand up on the boat and we could see his expertise just for seconds. They enquired where I belong to. I introduced myself and told them that I belong to Kerala but settled in AP, that too in Hyderabad. They were knowing the places well and aware of Vizag and Kerala.

I have seen boat and kite surfing only in New Jersey and also in Malibu beach. To see such a scene in Chennai was a great surprise and nice experience.

Therefore my morning walk was a good one today though I did not burn lot of calories......... instead of walking, I was chatting with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment